Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Time for Christmas Projects!

I admit it happens every year. Its November...Thanksgiving....BAM! Chistmas is here. I always plan to do really cool things with my kids for Christmas and then its on me before we know it. Somehow I thought Christmas would be calmer in 90 degree weather too. No snow days to set the kids into hyper-excitement level....nope. Christmas time must have its own barometric levels because my little bunch is wound. As I type Ella is teaching her brother a new rendition of Jingle Bells that has circulated my classoom all.day.long. But the really cool thing about my kids is that when I say they get excited...they get excited about everything. So bring on Christmas. Eight more school days and we got this!
I LOVE being able to dig deep into the Christmas story! We have been looking at the names of Jesus and the prophecies about Jesus. I think it is so awesome how eveything is woven together in God's plan. And my kids humor me by agreeing when I randomly call out " How cool is that?! during a Bible lesson. We made these little, mini nativities for at home.


The cool thing about having five kids and two kindles is that with a little sharing we can dive into some cool ebooks every now and then. We just finished reading the graphic novel for A Christmas Carol which was more third grade friendly than the original. When we finished we made lego characters for Scrooge before and after his adventure using vivid adjectives to describe him. 


My all-time favorite Christmas book is "Gingerbread Pirates." A little boy makes Santa gingerbread pirate cookies. When he goes to bed the captain works to set his men free before "that cannibal Santa Claus" gets them. In the end Santa makes sure even the pirates have a Merry Christmas. After reading the book, we did a survey of the students at our school of which part of the gingerbread they would take a bite of first. We then figured out how to make a key for our pictographs and rough percentages for our pie graphs. 

I am so blessed to be teaching where I am! Hope your season is starting out just as fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment